>> International Presence
The Nuclear Power Institute has Practical Arrangements with the
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as well as bi-lateral
agreements with several countries. Through multi-lateral and
bi-lateral initiatives, countries considering the first use of
nuclear or expanding their nuclear programs have sought information
on the initiatives in Texas led by NPI to use in their own human
resource development programs.
A further indication of the IAEA's recognition of NPI's status
and contributions to the nuclear industry is the recent awarding of Observer
Status by the IAEA's Board of Governors-the highest policy making
body of the Agency. This will enable NPI to attend IAEA General
Conferences with delegates from Member States to participate in
various technical meetings and engage in a range of technical
activities of the IAEA.
Other international cooperative programs include successful
teacher exchanges with several European countries which have proved
to be valuable means of transferring knowledge and experience among
seasoned science and math teachers.
Click on a region from the list at the right → to see a
list of international activities in which NPI, NSSPI (the
Nuclear Security Science and Policy Institute), and/or TAMU-NE (the
Department of Nuclear Engineering at Texas A&M University
) are involved in that region.
International Nuclear Activities
Recent and upcoming activities are listed below, and cover both
bilateral and multilateral initiatives (list is not all
Barretto, Paulo - Research Scientist, NPI and NSSPI
Davis, Tami - Associate Director, NPI
Kurwitz, Cable - Research Engineering Associate, NPI, and
Lecturer, Department of Nuclear Engineering at TAMU
Peddicord, K. Lee -Director, NPI and Professor of Nuclear
Poston, John, Sr. - Associate Director of NPI and Professor of
Nuclear Engineering, TAMU
Segovia, Valerie - Director of Outreach and Development, NPI
Skoda, Radek - Deputy Director, Nuclear Science Center
International Atomic Energy Agency
- On September 19-23, 2011, the NPI and NSSPI participated in the
General Conference as IAEA officially recognized Non-Government
- On September 26, 2010, NPI signed "Practical Arrangements" with
the Deputy Director General for the Department of Nuclear Energy to
- On May 2010 and June 2011, Paulo Barretto participated as a
member at the IAEA Director's General Standing Advisory Group on
Technical Assistance and Cooperation (SAGTAC)
- On December 16-20, 2010, Fred Best and Cable Kurwitz
participated in the IAEA Technical Meeting on Asian Network for
Education in Nuclear Technology, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
- On October 10-15, 2011, the IAEA held a Consultancy Meeting on
"Benchmarking Nuclear Education Programmes" at Texas A&M
University and NPI. Participants were from the United
Kingdom, France, Japan and Argentina.
- On December 9-16, 2011, Best and Kurwitz participated in the
IAEA Expert Mission to Assist the Vietnamese Universities to
Review Education and Training Programmes in Nuclear Power, combined
with IAEA Nuclear Knowledge Management (NKM) Assist Visit to
- On December 12-15, 2011, K. L. Peddicord participated in a
technical meeting in Vienna to "Produce a Guidance Document on the
Status of Policies and Strategies in Higher Education."
- On February 13-17, 2012, the IAEA held a Consultancy Meeting on
the "Development of Technical and Professional Human Resources for
New Nuclear Power Programmes" at Texas A&M and
NPI. Participants were from Bangladesh, Jordan, Malaysia,
Thailand and Vietnam.
- On March 19-20, 2012, Valerie Segovia from NPI met with
officials at the IAEA on outreach programs for newcomer
- On May 14-18, 2012, Tami Davis participated in the IAEA
Regional Meeting on Cooperation and Network for Nuclear
Programme in Africa, held in Accra, Ghana.
- On May 21-23, 2012, Davis met with IAEA officials on
planning of joint activities between the Agency and NPI.
- On September 17-21, 2012, NPI and NSSPI will participate as
recognized NGO's in the IAEA General Conference.
- On March 18 - April 5, 2013, NPI will host the three-week IAEA
Nuclear Energy Management School in College Station, Texas for up
to 50 participants from the Western Hemisphere.
Africa (Forum of Nuclear Regulatory Bodies in
- FNRBA is reviewing a Letter of Intent with NPI and NSSPI.
- On October 10-15, 2011, Jose Lolich, Director of the Instituto
Balserio, participated in the IAEA Consultancy Meeting on
"Benchmarking Nuclear Education Programmes" at Texas A&M
University and NPI.
- On February 13-17, 2012, Abdur Rob Howlader, Secretary of the
Bangladesh Ministry of Science and Technology, participated in the
IAEA Consultancy Meeting on the "Development of Technical
and Professional Human Resources for New Nuclear Power
Programmes" at Texas A&M and NPI.
- In March 2010, NPI sponsored a Texas high school teacher to go
to Bulgaria for a week to meet with schools, students, officials
and tour the nuclear power plant.
- In March 2011, the reciprocal visit by a Bulgarian teacher to
Texas took place with meetings at a high school, a university, a
community college, a nuclear power plant and with elected
- On November 8-12, 2010, K. Lee Peddicord,
NPI Director, lectured at Harbin Engineering University as
part of the IAEA Assist Mission in building the nuclear engineering
educational capability in China.
- On April 6, 2012, meetings were held with William Turmel of
Dynabond, Ltd. representing Haiyan Nuclear Research Park in Haiyan,
China about the potential of working with the Department of Nuclear
Engineering, NPI and NSSPI to partner in creating a new nuclear
university in the Haiyan Research Park that would be part of
Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- On July 27 to August 12, 2012, fifteen students and three
professors from A&M (Shao, Kurwitz and Ragusa) travelled
to Harbin Engineering University to join HEU students and
professors. The combined group was teaching a one-week
intensive course in nuclear power technology for one hour of
credit, then the second week toured around China visiting the
various nuclear power plants under construction.
- From September 2010 to July 2011, Radek Skoda from the Czech
Technical University spent a sabbatical year at NPI.
- On May 29, 2011, Karl Schwarzenberg, Czech Deputy Prime
Minister and Foreign Minister, and Petr Gandalovic, Czech
Ambassador to the U.S., attended the signing of an MOU between the
Czech Nuclear Education Network (CENEN) and the NPI in Houston,
- From May 31-June 2, 2011, the CENEN delegation (Roman Kuzel and
Jana Jirickova from the University of West Bohemia, Karel Katovsky
and Jiri Martinec from the Brno University of Technology,
Vaclav Dostal from the Czech Technical University, and
Pizinger from the Czech Embassy in Washington, DC) visited
Texas A&M and STP as a follow up to the MOU.
- On September 27, 2011, Peddicord participated in the joint
event in Prague where DOE Deputy Secretary Daniel Poneman and U.S.
Ambassador Norman Eisen announced research collaboration between
the U.S. and the Czech Republic, November 14, 2011, Czech
Ambassador to the U.S. Petr Gandalovic visited A&M for
discussions about Czech-U.S. university collaboration.
- On January 9 - 21 and February 13 - March 2, 2012, Skoda was at
Texas A&M as part of his joint appointment with A&M and the
Czech Technical University.
- On January 24-26, 2012, Skoda and Peddicord participated in the
US-Czech Technical Workshop in Prague organized by DOE and
- On March 2, 2012, Czech Ambassador-at-Large Vaclav Bartuska and
Deputy Chief of Mission Jaroslav Zajicek visited Texas A&M for
discussions on Czech-U.S. collaboration.
- On March 10-16, 2012, two high school science teachers from
Texas, along with Segovia, visited Prague, Brno and the Dukovny
Nuclear Power Plant, and the schools in Trebic.
- On April 15-21, 2012, Karel Katovsky, Brno University of
Technology, visited Texas A&M regarding the proposed joint
TAMU-Brno University-CENEN nuclear education program at Brno to be
offered to Czech and international students.
- In the fall of 2012, two high schools science teachers from the
Czech Republic will visit Texas.
- On October 17-20, 2010, John W. Poston, Sr., participated
in the Conference on Developing a Civil Nuclear Power
Workforce held in Cairo, Egypt.
- Barretto and Peddicord have been in contact with Dr. Alan
Traczyk, Institute of Physics at the University of Tartu, to
develop a cooperation on human resources development. A
project was drafted and proposed to the "IAEA for funding.
- On October 10-15, 2011, Claude Guet from the CEA
participated in the IAEA Consultancy Meeting on "Benchmarking
Nuclear Education Programmes" at Texas A&M
University and NPI.
- During the 2011 General Conference, NPI met with the Ghana
delegation that was interested in follow ups on
previous contacts with the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission on
education and training in nuclear safety and security related
topics for the Sub-Sahara countries in Africa.
- On May 14-18, 2012, Davis participated in the IAEA
Expert Mission to Ghana for the "Regional Meeting on
Cooperation and Networking for Nuclear Power Programme in
- On March 1, 2011, a Japanese delegation from the Japanese
Atomic Energy Agency visited NPI and NSSPI to discuss human
resource development and other nuclear activities.
- On October 10-15, 2011, Takehiko Yokomine from Kyoto
University participated in the IAEA Consultancy Meeting on
"Benchmarking Nuclear Education Programmes" at Texas
A&M University and NPI.
- On February 22, 2011, Kamal Araj from the Jordanian
Atomic Energy Agency visited A&M for meetings regarding
nuclear power human resources development.
- On February 13-17, 2012, Eng. Monther Ahmad Bataineh,
Secretary General Assistant of the Jordanian Ministry of
Higher Education & Scientific Research, participated in
the IAEA Consultancy Meeting on the "Development of Technical
and Professional Human Resources for New Nuclear Power Programmes"
at Texas A&M and NPI.
- In July 2012, NPI hosted a comprehensive, intensive 30 day
short course designed to cover a broad range of interests for
30 participants from Kenya.
- On August 7-12, 2011, Best and Kurwitz traveled to
Malaysia for meetings at several universities and
- On February 13-17, 2012, Zakaria Taib of the Human
Resource Management and Training Division of the Malaysian
Nuclear Agency, participated in the IAEA Consultancy Meeting
on the "Development of Technical and Professional Human Resources
for New Nuclear Power Programmes" at Texas A&M and
- On February 20-24, 2012, a delegation from Malaysia
visited NPI to discuss human resources development.
- On January 29, 2009, F. Epremo Osaisai, Executive
Director General of the Nigerian Atomic Energy Commission
visited Texas A&M. On November 7-11, 2011, Peddicord
participated in the IAEA Mission for Assistance in
Developing Action Plans for Nuclear Power Infrastructure
Development in Nigeria.
- On December 13-15, 2011, Poston and David Boyle
participated in an IAEA mission to Abuja, Nigeria to assist
Nigeria in the development of a Master of Science degree
program in nuclear science and engineering.
- On January 6, 2012, Shamsudeen Elegba, former
Director General of Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority,
visited Texas A&M University for discussions on
interactions with Nigeria.
- At the 2011 General Conference, NPI and NSSPI met with Dr.
Slimone Cherif, advisory to the government on nuclear matters
on opportunities for education at Texas A&M Department of
Nuclear Engineering and/or organization of short term
training for Omani staff.
- On May 23-24, 2011, Poston participated in the First
International Conference on Nuclear Energy held at the Technical
University of Warsaw, Poland.
- Collaborations with Moscow Engineering Physics Institute
(MEPhI) and the Obnisk Institute for Nuclear Power
Engineering (INPE) for the past 15 years and more recently
the Tomsk Polytechnic University. Russian Academic Program
for Nuclear and International Security (RAP-NIS), a joint
curriculum and academic program development, collaborative
student research and a foreign field experience for the
students, was funded by first DOE-NE and the NA-20.
- On August 11-14, 2011, a Russian delegation from Rosatom,
visited A&M to discuss joint research and faculty and
- Peddicord serves as a member of the Research Commission
(Forschungs-kommission) for the Department of Nuclear Energy
and Safety at the Paul Scherrer Institut. He also chairs the
Scientific Advisory Committee for the Laboratory for Reactor
Physics and Systems Behaviour.
- On February 13-17, 2012, Somjai Oonthong, Director,
Monitoring and Evaluation Group, Energy Policy and Planning
Office in Thailand, participated in the IAEA Consultancy
Meeting on the "Development of Technical and Professional
Human Resources for New Nuclear Power Programmes" at Texas
A&M and NPI.
- On February 27-28, 2012, Poston participated in the
International Conference on Nuclear Human Resources
Development in Asia and Pacific - the Role of Nuclear HRD
after Fukushima Accident.
- On October 10-15, 2011, Roberts participated in the IAEA
Consultancy Meeting on "Benchmarking Nuclear Education
Programmes" at Texas A&M University and NPI.
- From January 29 - February 10, 2012, 30 participants and
staff from the United Kingdom nucleargraduates program
spent two weeks at Texas A&M in classes, leadership building
and tours to STP, Wharton Country Junior College Center for
Energy Development, with key elected leaders.
- On December 16-20, 2010, Best and Kurwitz participated in
the IAEA Technical Meeting on Asian Network for Education in
Nuclear Technology, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
- On December 9-16, 2011, Best and Kurwitz participated in
the IAEA Expert Mission to Assist the Vietnamese Universities to
Review Education and Training Programmes in Nuclear Power,
combined with IAEA Nuclear Knowledge Management (NKM) Assist
Visit to Vietnam.
- On February 13-17, 2012, Hoang Anh Tuan, Executive
Director General of the Vietnam Atomic Energy Agency,
Ministry of Science and Technology, participated in the IAEA
Consultancy Meeting on the "Development of Technical and
Professional Human Resources for New Nuclear Power
Programmes" at NPI.
- On April 21, 2012, NPI received a proposal for
collaboration on nuclear reactor technology and engineering
from Hanoi University of Science and Technology with the goal
of establishing a full program in 2013.
- Expected visit by Vietnamese delegation in Summer